Wednesday, August 10, 2011

swimming



Freestyle swim:
Warm up (10 min freestyle, lost count of laps... ~1000m)
10 repeats @ 50m ... 1 min rest
Cool down (10 min freestyle, focus on form)

4 RFT @ side of pool:
12 pushups
12 burpees

Daily report
  • Body: Lower back really feels 'stretched' ... probably because of deadlifts.
  • Sleep: Enough, but could be better.
  • Nutrition: Good.
  • Notes: Great technique day in the pool. Found a stretch I hadn't noticed before. The goal with freestyle swimming is to be as long and streamlined as possible. There is a sensation when you raise your hand against a doorway and turn to reach the highest point possible that should be evident in the freestyle stroke.. a sensation not realized until today. When that is linked with hip transfer and tight hip turn, each stroke is much more efficient. Really practiced that today, along with keeping chin in and neck long. Not much distance, but good for technique.
  • Breif review of Crossfit Games: The much anticipated games lived up to expectation and then some. That said, I would have to say the best part of the games was not watching the athletes in some of the most ingenious programming I've ever seen, but rather meeting the minds behind the companies and movements I have followed for so long. Tony Blauer, Brian Mackenzie, Barry Sears only begins the list... It was great being able to shoot the shit with them at their booths. The reebok apparel booth was neat as well, and I attempted their 250m row sprint multiple times. The best event was by far the first... nothing comes close to an ocean swim coupled with crossfit's signature movements.
    • I really enjoyed myself over the weekend, my only gripe being that they should have published a concrete schedule of the events. I know that part of crossfit is the "unknown and unknowable" but they certainly could have been better with their communication to the audience about when things started and where they were being held at. I strongly believe that this 'Games' put Crossfit on the map for being a legitimate professional sport and we will see many years of incredible feats of fitness in the years to come. I am very glad that I attended.

No comments:

Post a Comment